Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Let's Do This 2014

2013 wasn't a great year for Robot Portraits.  Middle of the year was awash in personal issues that kept me from doing anything artistic.  But toward the end of the year I was given the opportunity to do some work with an acquaintance in Austin.  He's working on a sci-fi film and contacted me to do some work with character design.  While I don't think I helped in any way, he was very appreciative and I hope I'll be able to contribute more.

There was a piece of news in 2013 that related to robots in a big way.  I was contacted by the Austin film crew of the next Transformer's movie.  Some of it was being filmed in Austin and they paid to use one of the posters I'd drawn for the SXSW offshoot CREATE.  I'll be keeping an eye out for it though it'll likely be impossible to see in the background.  They had also mentioned doing a robot portrait of the crew before they wrapped shooting in Austin but they weren't able to get everyone together for a photo.

Still, big news.  I was very happy.

I'm also going to start working with a friend on a couple projects she has.  It's back to comic book drawing for the most part, but I do enjoy that as well.  Comic art has just always been a time-sink and I'm no longer the young maverick who can spend 18 hours a day drawing.  Maybe when I retire I'll do that again.

So, what that means is I'll be pushing a little more to get Robot Portraits out there.  If you're a fan or have ordered before, I encourage you to let people know about it.  Even if they aren't into robots, I do commissioned work.

Thanks, and I hope your 2014 is fantastic.


No comments: